Cat Nap

Cat Nap

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Barmy Adverts: The Joy of Pregnancy

I've got a lot of junk I don't need. Like most new parents I brought home loads of parenting magazines from the doctor's office after each visit and poured through them all, making lists of indispensable products I absolutely had to have. Now I'm gearing up for a garage sale and I'll be lucky to get 1/5 of what I paid for all that crap.

Here you'll find some products even I wasn't dumb enough to fall for. I seriously have no idea who would buy this stuff, well, maybe I've got an opinion or two...


Gownies by Baby Be Mine: This is a nice idea. A flashy maternity gown that makes you feel a little more put together when you look your worst, and a matching nightgown for you and baby to take pictures in after your ordeal. I'm sorry to be so frank but your expensive designer maternity gown will most likely have to be burnt after what you're about to put it through, and the thought of changing into a cute outfit will leave you wanting to castrate its designer as much as your partner. 
 
A note to parents: you have to take your baby out of the hospital blanky swaddle eventually - apparently you can't keep them wrapped up until you leave like you thought you could.
 
 

Bumper Belly: Face facts right now - someone is going to elbow your stomach in a crowded area. It sucks and it will scare the bejeezus out of you but it's going to happen. Mine happened when I had the bright idea of going to the downtown market in Portland at 8 months because, "damnit, I need to walk! And I need some new f'ing scenery! And perogies!" Some new-age douchebag with long 'gentle' hair was running past me to get to the homemade soap stand and elbowed me just above the navel. Mama bear came out and I lunged for him and groooowled. Actually growled! My husband had to hold me back from grabbing a chunk of his hair and yanking it down to my belly and forcing him to apologize to my unborn child. He was dumbfounded when my open hand just missed him. "Sorry" he muttered with terror-stricken eyes and kept running. We ran to find a seat where we could count kicks for a half hour until I was sure we didn't need to go to the emergency room.

A product like Bumper Belly makes money off of every parent's worst nightmare. Only in this case the culprit is not my douchebag James Taylor look-alike, but your first child. Yes, that's right, according to this article there's a very good chance your firstborn will try to kill (or permanently damage) your second born. It's biblical, man. And Bumber Belly warned you!
 
Thyme Maternity: This isn't so much a bad product as it is a bad advert. I don't know about other mom's but I'm pretty sure most did not feel 'so happy they could dance' at 8 or 9 months. I danced at 9 months once. It was 2 days before Tova was born, July 4th, and I went to the town parade and waited. Waited until the marching band came over the hill and I marched right along side them, twirling my imaginary baton, praying it would make the baby come out. The overweight kid with the bass drum was my buddy for a good half mile. I think it worked. But I most definately was Not smiling and laughing while this was going on. Maybe a kind of twitchy smile, but certainly no laughter.
 
Sonostream Live by United Imaging Partners: This goes into the category of "those with money to burn." I'd group it with those adverts that say they can predict your baby's gender at 10 weeks instead of waiting your turn, like the rest of us, until 18 weeks. Sure the image is going to have a resemblance of your actual child - all babies look the same until they're about a month old - your choice of Winston Churchill or Alfred Hitchcock.
 
There is no Sonostream center in Oregon or Washington, but you Could travel to... oh wow, Texas is the nearest one. Well, I really really can't wait one more month to see what she's gonna look like in person. And someone, it doesn't say who, gave it 4 stars. "You'll fall in love with this deeply moving, and emotional thrill ride!"
 
Sold!
 
bellybuds by Candy Sprout and Lullabelly: You could stick earbuds to your stomach and belt out Mozart. Maybe it will make her smarter.
 
Or you could do what I do and blast 80's goth rock in your car at the back end of the parking lot so no one can see you eating a whole pound of yogurt munch by yourself. Sure it's because you feel ashamed, but you can tell everyone it's because you wanted to prepare her for Mensa.
 
 
Bottome Line: save your dough for the important stuff like pregnancy approved sushi and name brand heartburn medication.
 



2 comments:

  1. A few months after my friend Lulu gave birth to her daughter Wendy (just turned three! woah!), we spent a few hours walking through a Baby's R' Us. It was really interesting to hear Lulu's opinions about the bazillion baby products out there, in particular the extraneous/useless ones that are designed to get into a new parent's pocket book by targeting their innumerable anxieties.
    The one product that I particularly remember Lulu being appalled by was a divided tray for storing home made baby food. I remember Lulu saying "For God's sake! It's an ice cube tray!" which made me laugh, because why yes it was just that.
    I enjoyed reading this. Looking forward to future blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my husband bought me belly buds last year for some occasion... Maybe it was valentine's. I attribute max's love of hair metal to them. They come with a splitter so you can listen too.

    ReplyDelete